19 Aug 2003 - Onboard the Maiden Express

Time: 10:30 am
On Board the Maiden Express.
Flying from El Paso to Denver.

Well, well, well,
How the blazes are you all?
I’m doing very well today thank you!

As you may have gathered, we’re on board a charter flight. But more on that a little later.

It has been a while since me last diary, and again I have to apologize for the delay. I have been having a blast though these last few weeks and have been procrastinating a little.

Lets see, after the Columbus gig. What did we do?
Oh yes. The Columbus gig was a hoot. Me mates Steve and Mitch came up from Florida and a few of their friends. Me misses’ friend Joy and Matt with a couple of their mates also came to the show. We played in front of 6500 billies. It was a great gig. After the show Mitch, Steve and meself went back to me room and we polished off a couple of bottles of sterling Cabernet wine. It was lovely. In the morning we headed over to Chicago. We had a gig that evening. The venue was at the Tweeter Centre. It was the last flight that we were making with the Jet stream airplane so it was so long to our Captain and First officer, Doug and Ben. Thanks guys, for all of our safe journeys, God bless you both.

We arrived into Chicago after a midday departure. The flight went smooth and we were all in top form. Steve and meself stayed at the airport hotel as I was leaving for Florida early the next day and Steve was going back to Sandusky to spend his couple of days off with his family. We both had early flights the next day.

The gig was blinding. The boys were all fired up that night I can tell you.
We had a really good show. After the gig Steve and I headed back to the Hilton at the airport. We said good night to one another and I went straight to bed. I was due to check in at 6:30 for a 7:35 departure. I got up at 6 o'clock and made me way over to the terminal. Chicago O-hare is a ‘Kin massive airport with 5 terminals. The lady at check in the previous day told me that I needed terminal 5. I headed over there and found out that the airline had changed terminals to terminal 3. ‘Kin marvellous. I had to get another train and go back to 3. Oh well good job I allowed for an extra few minuets on me schedule wasn’t it boys and girls. I checked in at the Spirit airlines check in and made me way through security. It didn’t take very long and after getting through I made me way to the old Starbucks coffee shop. I ordered a ‘Venti Latta’ and then made me way to the gate. The flight was on time departure and I was at the Fort Lauderdale airport for a little before midday. Rebecca and Justin were there to meet me. It was so nice to see them. I miss them real bad when I’m on the road. So we decided to go have lunch at a wonderful restaurant called ‘SeaWatch’. It’s on A1A going north out of the city. We had a great time. We arrived back home at a little after 3:30pm.

The rest of the day we spent just relaxing.

The next day I had to change me misses wheel on her jam jar as she had gotten a puncture in the tyre over the weekend. I took the wheel to a tyre shop and got it repaired. She had gotten a screw embedded in it so the guy at the shop plugged it and it was good to go. Later that afternoon I took me little one to the old amusement fair at Dania beach via a car showroom called ‘The Car Toy Shop’ in Fort Lauderdale, after browsing for a while, we headed out to the fair. When we arrived we went straight onto the roller coaster called ‘The Hurricane’. We rode that a couple of times and then went to play the video games. After a while we went and played putt putt golf. My little one beat me fair and square. He’s really good at the old putting.

We got back home at a little after 8:30pm and we stopped off at our favourite Japanese restaurant called the ‘Suchi-Yama’ and got a take away.
We had a really nice meal and then went to bed early.

The next day was Justin’s first day in Middle school. His 6th grade or first year in junior school. I was so pleased to be home to get up with him and get him ready for this big day. I got up at a little before 7 and we got things ready. He had a bowl of cereal and mum got his lunch ready. He was out of the door with his pals from up the road at a little after 8:30. It was a lovely feeling seeing him going off with his mates and they were all excited and at the same time a little bit nervous. I was going to go back to bed for a wee snooze for an hour but I couldn’t get back to sleep. My flight back to Dallas that day was scheduled out of Fort Lauderdale at midday. I needed to leave me drum at a little before 10:30. Rebecca drove me to the airport and I made the flight too Dallas. It was a little late leaving due to the planes late arrival. We got to Dallas about 15 minutes late at just after 2:30pm. I was due to meet my eldest boy Nicholas and my best friend Jeffrey Hammer at the international arrivals terminal. Jeff had flown in from Houston and had been at the terminal since 12:30. Nick was due in at 2:45pm. Everything worked out great. When I came through to baggage claim, Ian had sent along a driver too meet me. We put me bags and golf clubs in the back of the car and drove over too terminal B to meet Nick and Jeff. When I arrived Nick's plane had just landed. It took him what seemed like an age to come through. Apparently there was a long wait to go through Immigration. When he arrived I hide behind a post and as Nick greeted Jeff I pounced out at him and frightened the wits out of him. We laughed and hugged and then made our way to the car. He was looking very handsome. He’s growing into a very fine young man. Love you son!!!!

We arrived at the hotel Westin, and took a day room for the few hours before the gig.
Jeff, Nick, Steve, Bruce and meself were flying that evening after the show to San Antonio. On the couple of days off Bruce had flown down to L.A to pick up the Goose and fly it back via S.A to pick Steve up and then on to Dallas.
We’re back, the goose gang are reborn.

Stay safe and well boys and girls
God bless you all.
See you soon.

Website Development by Keane Creative